The Sisters of Charity were founded by Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, in the spirit of Saint Vincent de Paul and Saint Louise de Marillac, in Emmitsburg, Maryland, in 1809. In 1859 Mother Mary Xavier Mehegan founded the New Jersey community known as the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth.
Today the Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth are engaged in education, health care, pastoral and social service ministries in 19 dioceses within the United States, in El Salvador and Haiti. The Congregation currently numbers 273 vowed members. The Seton Associate relationship has 300 affiliated lay and religious women and men.
Convent of Saint Elizabeth
Administration Building, P.O. Box 476
Convent Station, NJ 07961-0476
Serving from July 1, 2015 through June 30, 2019
Sister Rosemary Moynihan, SC, General Superior
Sister Marilyn Thie, SC, Assistant General Superior
Sister Joan Repka, SC, Councilor
Sister Deborah Humphreys, SC, Councilor
Sister Maureen Dunne, SC, Councilor
Sister Elise Gittrich, SC, Councilor
Campus of Motherhouse: Administration Building, Convent of Saint Elizabeth, Holy Family Chapel, Academy of Saint Elizabeth, College of Saint Elizabeth
The Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth ministries include: Education, Diocesan and Parish Ministry, Counseling, Retreat & Conference Center, Women's Center, Spiritual Direction and Retreats, Hospitals, Homes for the Aged, Health Care, Community Centers and Social Services.
The Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth are represented in the Archdioceses of Hartford, Newark, New York, and El Salvador and Port-au-Prince the Dioceses of Atlanta, Camden, Charlotte, Fall River, Gallup, Metuchen, Palm Beach, Paterson, Raleigh, Trenton, Tucson, Washington, DC, Wilmington and Wheeling-Charleston.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
DIRECTION STATEMENT OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF 2015